In intensive and critical care units where adults, paediatric and neonatal patients are treated., the focus is on the intensive treatment and monitoring of severely ill patients, who need constant medical support to aid their treatment towards recovery. .
A reliable supply of medical oxygen is vital in the intensive care environment and its uses include:
• the treatment of hypoxia and hypoxaemia
• in mechanical ventilation for the treatment of severe disease or major trauma
• treating respiratory distress syndrome in newborns.
• treatment of acute respiratory diseases
• pre operative preparation and post operative care, for selected patients to reduce the risk of post operative complications
• aiding resuscitation